Helpful tips, suggestions and good ole' fashion info from N-Zilla and mom in honor of April the month known as allergy hell in San Antonio Texas and National Autism Month. A month to promote Awareness, Acceptance, and to Educate.
In the world of Neuro-disorders you'll hear words like MELTDOWNS. TICs. STIMMING.
While their are similarities they are different.
Let's talk about Stimming.
Stimming is a repetitive body movement that self-stimulates one or more senses in regulated manner. Fun fact found at http://autism.wikia.com/wiki/Stimming many autistic children have no stims and about 10 percent of young children without autism stim.
Some benifites of stimming:
- Increased ability to remain calm
- Reduced meltdowns
- Increased tolerance of challenging sensory situations
- Increased focus, attention span, and task management abilities
- SELF-ACCEPTANCE AS AN AUTISTIC PERSON
- flapping hands. Blinking or moving fingers in front of eyes.
- making vocal sounds. snapping fingers
- scratching; rubbing the skin with one's hand or other object
- rocking front and back or side to side. Moving in a rhythmic motion.
- licking body parts or an object. (their was a point when N-Zilla licked tree's and Crazy Horse bite her hair)
- smelling objects, hands, or other people