I've known this day was coming as soon as I signed N-Zilla up for Kindergarten. The notes came home today. In short, it was not a good day for N-Zilla.
BUT today is the first day I used the tools and picture aids I got from Any Baby Can RFFA (Reaching Families Facing Autism) classes a 100%. Since last Thursday I have started to use them. Setting them up around the house. Taking the wait card and First/Then card with me in town. Using it when we went out to eat Saturday. I've been using it bits and pieces through out the day.
In the morning I have a picture schedule for N-Zilla. Life got hectic the end part of last week and the first part of this week. It's gonna be Thursday and I still have the case of the Monday's. When days or weeks are like this...I fall behind on the picture schedules and schedules in general.
Since Monday I could see something boiling at the surface and sure enough the notes came today. It's clear to me more now then ever that I have to stick to a schedule and everybody involved with N-Zilla has to be on board. More social stories. More visual cues. More patients. More. More. More.
Today after I picked N-Zilla up from school and drying off from being stuck in the 10 minute rain storm I used my notes from the RFFA class and tool box. Next post I will be able to show you pictures. I can't right now because my phone doesn't hold a charge because it was dropped in the toilet over the summer and in another part of the world a butterfly flapped it's wings.
Hopefully keeping up with the post will keep me on track and put the pressure on to use all his visual cues, social stories etc.
- Used "Wait Card".
- N-Zilla used his cards for his First/Then. First Snack. Then Homework.
- No yelling from me (mom) at homework time.
- Used token system. Worked towards computer time.
- Multitask. While N-Zilla was on computer caught up with Crazy Horse and drew out a social story for shower time. While cooking dinner made a grocery list and diner menu with Son #1. Sang little mermaid songs for Talulah while laminating Shower Time social story.
- First/Then cue to get N-Zilla ready to take a shower.
- Taped social story in shower wall. Had N-Zilla follow sequence. Mentally pat myself on back.
- Used Visual cue card for sleep to get N-Zilla to bed (my bed). Sat in dark with him until he fell asleep. End time 8pm. He fell asleep 5 hrs earlier then he had in the past 5 days.